Saturday, May 06, 2006

Otis Mannick & Katy J.

Last week I went to see Otis Mannick play with his new band. Sporting a new electric guitar, Otis rocked!!! It just happened to be his birthday and I was glad he chose to celebrate onstage.

Otis is awesome. His words are vulnerable and full of heart break and self reflection. He is at home on stage, revealing his life through song. Singing with his eyes closed as if he was alone in the room, we the audience become voyeurs into his private pains. Off stage Otis is the nicest man you are likely to meet. A little wacky yes, but you gotta love it! You can check out his music, without the band, here.

The best surprise of the night was Katy J. She went on before Otis and I was mesmerized! WOW. There's not much else I can say about this girls talent. Katy J has a raspy voice that is so kind and velvety. She belted out songs with such a perfect blend of vulnerability and power. I don't really know how to describe the feeling other than I was blown away! Check out her sound here.

Do you have a favorite local band or musician?? Give them a shout out! Write a comment linking to their sites!

No comments: